Tuesday, February 19, 2019

South by Southwest

A Detour

I've made this blog mostly to practice writing and documenting my experiences with Runaway Travel trailers. With that said, I'm going to take this blog on a segue, of sorts, and document my upcoming March trip to Australia. Traveling and seeing other cultures and countries has a way of giving us a fresh look at our own culture or country. We tend to get so accustomed to the way we do things that we forget that there's a different way. I believe this opens us up to new ideas in other aspects of our lives and makes us just better people as a whole.

I chose Australia since it's openness to tourism and ample outdoor activities such as camping and hiking. I gave a lot of thought to how I'd travel in the country and would prefer to hike/hitch hike rides to my destinations but with only 2 weeks available, I figured that driving would be the best method. Besides, there's nothing like a good old fashioned road trip.

Cost

I used the Kayak app on my phone to find my flight. Total round trip costs was roughly 1400 USD which is much cheaper than I thought it would be. My flight departs from Panama City, Florida's airport to Charlotte, NC and a 4 layover. Then onward to LAX and finally a 15 hour flight to Sydney's Kingsford Smith airport. I booked a rental care, the smallest and cheapest I could get, which set me back less than 170 dollars for the duration of the trip. Gas will probably be my biggest expense so I chose a compact. hopefully they'll upgrade me to a Prius or other hybrid.

I'm a backpacking traditionalist so I've bought a new internal frame 60 liter backpack from Amazon for 70 dollars. I've also bought a new sleeping pad since most of my overnights will be outside and I've been given a sleeping bag.

Local insight into where to go, what to avoid, and what to see is important. Lonely Planet guide books are a invaluable resource for travelers and I've used them for years in my journeys. I went to Barnes and Noble and found the perfect book: Australia's Best Road Trips. It documents the 38 best road trips to take. So, after a little research I'll develop some sort of itinerary and post it here.

I hope you enjoy following along in my journey and I look forward to posting lots of pics and information here!

Happy vegabonding!

No comments:

Post a Comment