Sunday, March 24, 2019

Australian Roadtrip: Day One

Many people think that travel is expensive, but I would argue differently. Most of us have disposable income, and while many choose to spend theirs on a new car every few years, or max out their bank account monthly by buying the largest house they can afford, I would rather spend my money on things that add value to my life. I was discussing this very concept with my dad before I left the US for an overseas trip and I explained, not that he needed and explanation, that I buy things after giving thought to how, when, and how often I'll use the thing that I'm buying. This is what I consider 'adding value'.  Before I bought my Runaway Camper I considered the purchase of a much larger trailer that would accommodate such things as a big screen TV or have cabinets for more dishes and food, but when I thought deeply about such things, I realized that I don't want a large TV to play video games with while I'm out in the wilderness camping. I don't need more space for stuff because there's only myself and I can do with less space. Such is the philosophy of life for me: to live more simply. But, this can't always work for many people who have a family or have someone relying on them for a particular level of comfort. But, that doesn't mean that some concepts can't be applied to those people not as fortunate as myself.

There's a scene from a movie I love called "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" which is based on a book written by Douglas Adams of the same name. In this scene the protagonist is speaking at a party to a potential romantic interest about traveling to Madagascar with her on a whim. He explains to her that he can't, that he's got a job to maintain. She simply says " Quit. Get another when you get back."

It seems so simple, this idea to drop everything and chase a dream.

Day One

I landed in the big city of lights: Sydney, the morning of Saturday the 23rd of March 2019. Total ticket cost round trip: 1300 US. Rental car: 158, but I opted for the additional insurance.

I called for the shuttle and the driver was there within minutes and my car was waiting for me. After signing a few papers promising to pay for any toll fees, fuel, cleanup charges upon return, I was off and heading north. Driving through Sydney traffic on a Saturday was easy. Typical for a large cosmopolitan city, people were out enjoying their day free from work hitting the coffee shops and being with friends.



Driving through the northern suburbs Google Maps took me along a circuitous route that kept me away from the M1, the Harbour Bridge, and any other toll roads. After 45 minutes of driving through town I merged onto the Pacific Highway and soon the buildings and people gave way to sheer rocks. The motorway sliced through thick, heavy rock that had stood for millennium
.
As I made my way north, and in spite of it being a bright morning, my energy began to fade and the fatigue induced by 2 days of travel, tight, uncomfortable plane seats, began to take its toll. I found a campsite that was within an easy drive and continued my northward course.

Just north of Newcastle on Meadowie Road is the Fighter Museum. I've been to more than a few museums dedicated to aircraft, and this one is one of the impressive ones. It's relatively small, but it appears to maintained by a group of volunteers whose dedication to preserving the history of Australia's air defence service is deep.

It's housed in two hangers and almost every square foot of floor space is filled with aircraft, ordinances, cockpit mockups, and other things related to flying. Admission was 16 AUD and worth every cent. The can be found on Google Maps by clicking here.







 An ashtray made from the piston of a Rolls Royce engine used during the world war. 
 Goblin Engine Cutaway View
 Goblin Engine Cutaway View

After the trip to the museum I headed to Tomaree National Park. Camping was nearby the park, though restrictions on camping on the beach without a permit meant finding another place to bed down for the night. But, I ventured in and drove as far as I could before the gravel road gave way to sand. There's a parking area for cars and vans without four wheel drive so I backed in and walked the remainder of the way. Walking down the track can be treacherous due to vehicles using it, but I found that everyone was friendly and slowed down once they realized someone was on foot. The walk was about a kilometer and ended at another parking area, this one obviously for 4x4 vehicles. A path that bifurcated led to Big Rocky and Little rocky. Big and Little Rocky are rock formations that form a protective bay. Inside the bay wildlife can be found which makes it a popular place to snorkel and swim. 

 The path that leads to Big Rocky


 Some of the rock formations that surround the small bay. This picture looks south. 

After visiting Big Rocky I headed for my camping area I located with the help of Google Maps. Tattersails camping ground was a 20 minute drive with just a few kilometers of it being dirt road. I chose it because it was free and completely primitive. The campground sits on the banks of the Karuah River and has a pit toilet that was well stocked. The toilet is at the top of the hill but there are no other facilities. I arrived and found my spot to set up camp. The rainy season along the coast tends to be in late summer and winter, so I placed the rain fly on my tent as well. And it was a good thing too. At around 0200 I was awoken by the sound of a gentle rolling thunder and the patter of raindrops hitting the tent material overhead. Within minutes the thunder became louder and the rain relentless. But my tent remained completely dry and I had a decent night's rest.

I missed sleeping in my own bed in my Runaway Travel trailer, but it was a pleasant experience and when I get back home to Florida, I'll just appreciate it even more.

Tattersails Campground location

 Park Entrance
 I thought Florida was the Sunshine state?

The moon was bright once the skies cleared and the rain stopped. 

Sunrise on the Karuah River. 

One more important thing to keep in mind when camping here or anywhere near water. Bring mosquito repellent!



No comments:

Post a Comment