Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Camping, glamping, and those things between

The notion of venturing out into the dark forest, setting up a flimsy fabric tent, and subsisting on cold Clif bars seems like a bad idea. After all, why would anyone leave their comfortable home, warm bed, and a full pantry? We do these things because, I believe, we need to not only reconnect with nature but also realise how good we have it. When we surround ourselves with creature comforts we become soft and complacent to them and eventually take them for granted.

The idea of me ever purchasing a travel trailer, even one the size of a Runaway, seemed like I was giving into the 'glamping' craze and it's beyond me why would anyone spend as much on a home for a caravan that contains two bathrooms, a shower, big screen TV, with an ability to sleep 12 people? Why not just stay home? I suppose that even those who've bought into the 'glamping' craze feel the same need to reconnect with nature but aren't willing to take the full dive.

As I get older (mid 40s now) I feel that compromise is just part of that package. Crawling up from the ground isn't impossible, but does get more difficult. And getting a good night's sleep has always been a challenge while tent camping. At least with a Runaway Camper I can sleep on a mattress. I can have air conditioning. I can keep a change of clothes close at hand without searching for them under a sleeping bag. Set up is easier than tenting. Best of all, it's ready to go at a moment's notice and doesn't require packing for the trip. In spite of the convenience it's still not as comfortable at home: no bathroom at my disposal, no TV, and it's no where near as comfortable as my bed at home.

But I haven't given up on the old ways. My internal frame backpack and gear lie in wait for that next hiking trip along the Continental Divide. Or perhaps we'll tame the Appalachian Trail again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment